Saturday, November 3, 2012

1.  When first hearing the term "instructional technology", I immediately thought of the means of instruction (specifically means of technology in which instruction can be delivered).  For example, in my classroom that would include use of the document camera, projector, smart board, and computer.  I assumed it to be technology used to aid instruction. 

After reading the first chapter of the text, I see quite plainly that I held a very elementary and incorrect view of the term "instructional technology".  What has shaped my view thus far has been my school district and how technology is viewed.  We are given some great means of delivering lessons, but often times, we are not given adequate training or information on how best to utilize this technology to the benefit of our lessons and of the students.

Upon completion of the chapter, I see that it is a much more involved definition where decades have been spent trying to sufficiently define the term!  I can see the value of the 1994 version of the definition particularly with all of the advances in technology that have occurred in recent years.  Our students are inundated with technology of all kinds.  It is how they learn and what they find appealing on many levels.  With the definition encompassing all aspects of lesson planning and design as well as implementation and evaluation, it showcases how important each phase or domain is in the process of the use of instructional technology.  The most current definition and the one used in the text is VERY thorough and emphasizes not only the use of media in instruction but the development of that instruction.

2.  There is a lesson I am particularly fond of that I use in our short story unit in my Pre-AP English 1 class.  After reading "The Scarlet Ibis" students are to do a project called a "One Pager".  I got this lesson from a Pre-AP Summer Institute several years ago, and it seems to be one that students can do without a lot of time spent in creation but more spent in contemplation.  It is not very "techonologically oriented" but can fall into the six categories of instructional design. 

The One Pager consists of 4 items being placed on one page of paper or poster. 
 1.  The student is to find a visual element that represents something from the story.  The visual can be literal or symbolic in nature, drawn by hand, a computer graphic, or an image from another source of printed material.
2.  Find two significant quotes and place them somewhere on the page.
3.  Develop a theme statement relating to the visual and quotes chosen and place it on the page.
4.  Put the author and title on the page.
On a separate sheet of paper, the student is to write in paragraph form and explain their choices (Why they chose the visual they chose and what it represents as well as why they chose the quotes they chose and how they arrived at their theme statement.)

With the nature of the analysis required to complete the task, I feel it is learner centered and goal oriented.  Along the same line, it also focuses on meaningful performance.   There is a rubric to follow to measure the outcomes. What is is lacking is the 5th and 6th characteristics of instructional design.  The lesson came from an instructor I had; therefore, I did not have involvement in its design.  The design also relies on instruction prior to the assingment being given as well as the vertical alignment in the district.  Students must have prior knowledge in order to successfully complete the assignment.

5 comments:

  1. Here is one of those new blogger issues! I accidentally published parts one and two before I got to do number three in the assignment! I don't know what I did but at least they are all here! LOL Living and learning about the world of blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gwen, you can go back to each blog and edit it... feel free to call/ text me if you run into problems! I'm usually up to all hours :) I will email you my # (through commerce email)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your honesty throughout this blog! I definitely feel you can add plenty of technology to your project. :) There are movie makers that can turn pictures into movies. Throughout the process of physically adding the objects on the sheet of paper, have the kids photograph the paper and their hands adding the objects (do this in groups- it will add that group element as well). The final video can be short (30s-1m) and will end up looking like a flip book.. They can even add music behind it. You can also talk with the film/theater/technology dept at your school to see what free apps/programs you can use with your school's network security systems... Just some ideas ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Crjonesboney on this one---there are many technology aspects that can easily be added to your project. Animoto is a simple (free for basic use) yet effective program to use for projects of this nature. I am sure that are several more programs that could help enhance the project. If it is a Pre-AP class--most of the students should catch on quickly. There are many features that can be added to the project including music, etc. Using a rubric and working in groups also allows this program to qualify as instructional design. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gwen, I have the same misunderstanding of instructional technology with you. And this is my first time saw a instructional design, do you really instruct your class in this way? That is so cool! I often have a problem with how to express myself, and I have no idea if it is related to my education experience. I used to be taught in general, I cannot have my own characteristics. After read the book, I learn that what I experienced is called teacher-centered. I am saying that it is definitely bad, but it does limit some of students who might have a different thought. And learner-centered is not only around a learner, but also find a proper way to them to learn something or express something.

    ReplyDelete